Always


ALWAYS
26/03/16 - Saturday

One weekend, I was riding up to a nearby restaurant to meet a few friends. While crossing a bus stop, where a bus halted right in front of my two-wheeler, I swerved the bike right and overtook it. What I did not expect at that point was for a large cow to emerge from the other side, jumping in front of my bike. Taken completely by shock and surprise, my conscious mind froze for a split second! Luckily, the adrenaline rush to my brain alerted my reflexes and I hit the brakes with all my might. The speed at which the vehicle was moving made the brakes ineffective, and I quickly planted both my feet on the road, firmly pulling back the handlebars to avoid ramming right into the cow. The vehicle stopped just in time, about half an inch away from the now confused cow. She was considering turning around and going back to wherever she had come from! I let out a sigh of relief, but my heart didn’t stop pounding at my rib cage for the next 20 minutes.

My eyes were a blur, my fingers red from gripping on to the handlebars for dear life, and my brain kept sending me images from the scene that just ensued and what would have happened if I hadn’t stopped the bike when I did. I would have crashed right into the cow, whose horns were conveniently placed to pierce into me, my bike would have toppled over, throwing me down on the road from where it would have been too late to get up, what with the speed of the vehicles racing behind me! It was horrifying, but I was safe! I couldn’t believe that I had escaped, because all the possibilities were not in my favour. If I had seen the cow and swerved further to the right, the vehicle which was coming up behind me on the right would have collided into mine. But I hadn’t seen the cow, so I avoided that mishap. At the same time, I did see the cow just in time to stop half an inch from it. Well, what are the odds?

As I continued my journey following this incident, I kept whispering a million thanks to the God above who had saved me from a disastrous accident that day. Slowly, a thought crept into my mind; I travel several hours daily, using different modes of transport. And each of these days, I don’t even come close to being in danger. On all those days, I do not even realise that it is God who protects me. I take my safety for granted. Only on that particular day, when I came face to face with danger, in a situation where I could have died, did I realise that he has been protecting me day in and day out.

What I learnt that day was a big truth, one we all claim to know, but often tend to forget! Our God is good, not now and then, or when the situation demands. He is good, all the time. Whether life is easy or hard, when we are happy or sad, living in comfort or going through tough times. ALWAYS! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tribute to the Technical Writer

Window Views: My Morning Muse

A Memoir