Seaward

A storm raged in the sea of her heart,
Rapidly flooding her eyes;
The salty waters gushed out,
Desperately in search of respite.

Drowning in her own sea,
Which stained her cheeks and soaked her pillow,
She listened as another sea
Beckoned her towards itself.

As darkness surrounded her,
And her tired eyes grew heavy,
She gave in, almost gratefully,
For a chance to escape reality.

Drifting into another world,
She saw a sunny sky and a silver sea,
Awaiting her at the end of a stretch
Of yellow sand.

With the morn she rose,
Determined with renewed energy.
Was it the restful sleep or the dreams that lay beyond
That faraway land?

One to make dreams come true,
She set out in search of it.
Because those frothy ends of that silver sea
Had beckoned her to wet her feet.

Led to its shores, without a thought
She went on towards the sparkling waters,
Reflecting a million sunbeams that gleamed
Down on her from the sky.

As the waters mingled with her own,
The storm within her found a calm.
Taking on a steady, familiar rise and fall
As the waters, with their frothy frills buried her feet.


PS: I am not a poet. I have only written two poems before in my entire life - one when I was about 8, for my dad's birthday and one about my first dog. This, if you could call it a poem, is my third. Over the past few days, these words have been swirling around inside me. This is how they aligned themselves when I finally decided to pour them out. I must say, I'm pretty happy with the way this has shaped out. It feels right this way, so I decided not to mess with it.


Do bear with my lack of poetic knowledge/skills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tribute to the Technical Writer

Window Views: My Morning Muse

A Memoir