Book Review: Flowers in the Snow (by Danielle Stewart)

Obviously it was the title that led me to the book. As a person who never reads reviews or blurbs of a book before reading it (for fear it would kill any suspense for me), I had no idea what I was going to read about. The only thing I had guessed right was that the book is centred around a female protagonist. Little did I suspect that I was in for a heart-warming, heart-wrenching, heart-breaking story which is very much impregnated by events in the history of the world. A history, I warn you, which is not pretty.

The book kept me riveted (not just 'glued' or 'engrossed' - those words are too inadequate!). It unfurls as the story of an elderly woman, Betty, (not a coloured woman, as you would assume!) who narrates her life as she grew up in Edenville, at a time when racial discrimination and violence was at its peak. But then again, the book is not just about the gut-flinching cruelty which prevailed in those times. That is the beauty of this book. The focus of the book is on the goodness that managed to survive and thrive even during the darkest times. Like flowers that show the strength and courage to bloom, even in the snow!

The best part comes somewhere towards the end of the book in the form of a visitor. I was so pleasantly surprised that I laughed out loud, skipped around the room, and did a little dance before plopping myself back on the bean bag to finish the book! I do not believe in ruining surprises for anyone, so I will just leave it at that! Trust me, though, this book is worth it!


Rating: 5 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tribute to the Technical Writer

Window Views: My Morning Muse

A Memoir