Moody or Misunderstood?

As an introvert, I've lost count of the number of times I felt misunderstood. People have assumed that I'm stuck up, timid, antisocial, boring or even plain sad. Yes, I was a quiet student in class, I did prefer sitting by the window and enjoying the view outside to dancing in the middle of the bus during class trips, I still do opt out of large "group" activities. What does this make me? It makes me a good listener, a person who values soulful experiences, someone who chooses heart-to-heart conversations and close-knitted friendships. And, in my own unique ways, I believe I've made a difference where it matters to me.

Over the years, I've also learned to grow and adapt to demanding situations. I've learned to fight for my little space in a world full of extroverts. But I do wish my journey had been easier; I wish I hadn't been made to feel like there was something wrong with me.

Even among people who claim to know me well (because they know me for years) are those who haven't seen beyond my quiet exterior, because they have been busy judging me as being aloof or grumpy. People assume that introvert equals moody and extrovert equals normal or happy. If only people could have taken the time to stop and see, they would have seen that an introvert is fun-loving, feels all kinds of emotions, has a vivid imagination and, in the right company, even has a lot to say!

Recently, when someone made an ignorant remark about my "moody" character and added thatI was only slightly appalled. If I had been younger, I would have probably cried about it in private. But now I choose to educate or smile it off, depending on how much energy I want to spend on such an interaction.

So consider this my attempt to educate: There are people out there who are different from you (and I'm not just talking about introverts). If you want them in your life, take the effort to know them - truly. Don't even label someone as an introvert or extrovert (unless they tell you so themselves), let alone quiet or loud, boring or fun. Because, by doing so, you are putting undue pressure on them to either stick to your expectations or forcibly break away from them.

If there is one thing I've learnt in life, it's to try NEVER to judge or jump to conclusions about anyone. It has been difficult and it still is, sometimes. But I know I never want to make someone feel the way I've felt many, many times. And so I try and, if you ask me, I think we all should.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tribute to the Technical Writer

Window Views: My Morning Muse

When Faith Fails, Remember Me