Frozen Frames

In the second year of college - about ten years ago - I got my first digital camera, a shiny ash-coloured Sony Cybershot. It was a requirement for our Journalism class, especially since we had to run the WCC college newspaper that year.

My only experience of handling a camera before this was during my Class X and Class XII outstation excursions, for which I borrowed my Chachidaddy's Panasonic film camera. Sure, there was a VGA camera in my first ever Nokia phone, the one I got when I joined college in 2008. But I seldom used it; my phone hardly did have any memory left as I always kept the 1 GB (yes, just 1 GB!) memory card full with songs. For the generation that has only seen "smart" phones, VGA is about 0.3 megapixels by the way!

So, naturally, when I got my very own camera, I was quite excited. I took it to college every single day for the next two years, whether or not it was required of me to report anything that was happening there! I loved that I could click the same picture innumerable times until I got it right. I loved that I didn't have to send the roll of film to be developed. I didn't have to wait for the prints to tell me that I had taken a handful of shots in a weird tilted angle or with the flash shining brighter than the sun!

It seems unbelievable today that I am talking of a time that was just ten years ago, doesn't it? We live at a time where it is commonplace to casually click pictures of everything from our food to our painted feet. Click, delete - click, edit, post! It's as simple as that! But back in my WCC days, I felt like I had unleashed a super power!



My camera was an extremely prized possession for me, and I handled it with great care. If my sister (who was then about nine) asked me if she could borrow the camera, I would insist that she put her hand through the safety loop first. I also clearly remember a day (when we were on our trip to Goa), a friend of mine dropped my camera and I'd felt shocked, sad, angry and a lot of other emotions, all at once!

With my camera, I clicked pictures of everything in the college - from the grass to the college cat (Edward), the bumchums to the beautiful buildings that made up the campus...even fallen flowers! I would click pictures of random things at home, and even take the camera with me when I visited my cousins or grandparents, where I would click more pictures! And I would upload them to my (old, now deleted) Facebook albums.

Back then, I loved my camera and the ability it gave me to freeze the frame that caught my eye and save it for all posterity. I don't know when I outgrew that love, that obsession, that almost- compulsive need to carry it around everywhere. Maybe it was on the day I got my first smartphone, with cameras in the front and back?

Now, after what seems like a lifetime later, I remember my good ol' camera once again because I recently came across many of these pictures (from my Facebook account backup). Yes, it was a rather unexpected quarantine discovery that took me on an intense trip down memory lane!

To be honest, I don't even know where the camera is today! I hope it's still around, hiding in some corner of the drawer under my study table. I'll definitely be looking for it when I visit my parents the next time. But for now, I'm psyched that some of the pictures found their way to me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tribute to the Technical Writer

Window Views: My Morning Muse

A Memoir