A Lesson from the Garden

Counting down the days to my wedding, I've been experiencing the jitters like every other bride-to-be! However, I have something I like to call 'the Bible advantage' (although how often I use it is quite a question). The Bible advantage simply means that I know the Bible (ok I know 10% or maybe lesser) and have access to its wisdom any time. When I am have worries or doubts, I can turn to the Word for peace and assurance.

One of the biggest challenges that any couple will have to deal with, whether it is in the days leading up to the wedding or after, is the problem with "lies". No, not that the couple will be lying to each other (that is a different challenge), but that there will be voices in their heads that try to confuse them about the decisions they are making, making them question the love they receive from their partner, and making them jump to conclusions when they see (or hear) their partner do (or say) something. Most often, it is difficult for these couples to realise that these voices are not their own, but of someone who wants to break them up and frolick in the ruins of the relationship. When I say "relationship" here, I'm referring to the one which includes the human couple and God.

Yes, if you take a close look at the initial chapters in the Book of Genesis, you will see that marriage is a union set up by God in the Garden of Eden. The members of this union were Adam, Eve and God. The three of them would even take walks together every evening and enjoy sweet fellowship. Satan aka 'the serpent' tried to ruin this relationship by lying to Eve. They were not outright lies that had no relevance to reality, or Eve wouldn't have fallen for them. Instead, Satan crafted his lies well, picking up bits of fact, twisting them with untruths, and posing them in the form of seemingly innocent questions. The rest, as they say, is history! (for those of you who don't know, please read Genesis 3)

When we were kids, we saw this story as a mere lesson in obedience and the consequences of disobedience. As an adult, this story is revealed to me as a major lesson on marriage, and how the relationship enjoyed by Adam, Eve and God was effectively ruined.

Firstly, this story reveals to us the fact that the lies will creep in on any relationship. The devil is not one to be happy seeing others happy, so he tries to break up every Godly marriage with lies such as - "I am not good enough/pretty enough/rich enough (for my partner)", "my partner doesn't  love me enough/the way  I deserve to be loved", "he/she must be cheating on me", etc. If you have made the ultimate commitment to each other in the presence of God, you have to trust each other and hold on to the love that God has put in your heart when you are faced with such lies. Remember the person you learnt to love in your partner and remember the foundation of your relationship - Christ.

Secondly, the story warns us against making choices/decisions without consulting every member of the relationship; ie your partner and God. Eve took a quick decision after her conversation with the serpent without consulting Adam or God. If only she had taken a moment to do so, the story would have been different. So that's another lesson for us to learn - when you make a choice without telling your partner, he/she may be reeled into the consequences (like Adam), and when you do not ask God about it,  you are bound to make a foolish mistake which could have been otherwise avoided. I have learnt, from experience, that the ideal way to make decisions (when it comes to those that can affect the relationship) is to discuss with the partner first and then take it to God together.

I know it won't be easy, because no relationship is all sunshine. The wind, rain and the storm will definitely beat up on any relationship. But remember, the house built on the rock faced the same rain and the same floods as did the house built on the sand. But the house built on the Rock (Christ) has a strong foundation, and will not fall. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tribute to the Technical Writer

Window Views: My Morning Muse

A Memoir