Roadside Confessional

I had quite a rough day at work today. My boss kept asking me to rework what was a perfectly good promotional writeup. I was forced to work late, and when I left office two hours later than usual, he still didn't look so satisfied. I was frustrated by the end of the day.

When I'm feeling an emotion, any emotion at all, my immediate reaction is to vent it out. As I walked out of office, I decided it wouldn't be such a good idea to talk loudly to my alter ego in public. So I decided to call someone I thought might listen empathetically. I called twice, but there was no answer. So much for empathy! Feeling more frustrated,and a little hurt, I called my dad. When he answered the phone, I told him that I was just leaving office then. He enquired why I was leaving that late; I grabbed the question as an opportunity to vent out my emotional story. My dad heard half the story, and at some point when I paused (for dramatic effect), thought I was done, and hung up! Disappointed, I started walking in the direction of the bus stop,  when a kind voice teasingly asked me, "Why that scowl on your face?"

"Woah! Hi, God", was my startled response. Almost immediately, my expression turned sheepish when I realised that I hadn't thought of Him to share my feelings with. He is the only one who has promised to listen to me anytime and anywhere. And undoubtedly, He is the only one who can do something about any situation! And yet, somehow, I forget to look for Him when I have something to say.

I quickly apologised for not remembering Him when I wanted to talk about the thing that had upset me. Then, struck by a wave of realisation, I apologised again; for not thinking of asking Him to help when I was doing the millionth draft of my writeup. And then, again; for not talking to Him while starting my day! Yes, on some days, the first thing I do in the morning is pick up my phone to check messages from people instead of pick up my Bible to check messages from Him. Today was one such day. I apologised again for that.

He didn't blame or say to me "I told you (to do) so". Instead, He chuckled as we both reflected on how I almost always fall asleep while trying to pray on my bed in the morning. "The spirit is willing, but the body is weak", I said, quoting His words when the disciples kept falling asleep that day in Gethsemane.

He shook his head and smiled at me. Then he stroked my face tenderly and said, "To err is human; to forgive, divine". :) :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tribute to the Technical Writer

Window Views: My Morning Muse

A Memoir